The Healthcare Interoperability Journey: Challenges and Opportunities
The average healthcare system has an average of 16 distinct EMRs, plus dozens of clinical and specialty applications. That makes it difficult to achieve optimal patient care and trust unless healthcare interoperability is a priority. But how can privacy and security professionals overcome interoperability challenges, including legal, regulatory, and security concerns?
For two systems to be interoperable, they must be able to exchange data and present that data so a user understands it. The benefits of interoperability are many: reduced medical errors, improved patient care, stronger data privacy and security, better population health, increased productivity, saved time, and reduced costs. But there are also interoperability challenges.
Watch this on-demand webinar, featuring John Signorino, Chief Privacy Officer for Geisinger Health System, and Rick Duvall, Chief Information Security Architect of Loma Linda University Medical Center, as they discuss their organizations’ approaches and journey toward interoperability, including:
- How to approach interoperability and develop a framework for success
- How to navigate varying laws and regulations on patient data exchange
- How to develop a comprehensive understanding of where PHI is held and what can be securely shared
- How privacy, security, and compliance can partner together to achieve interoperability that meets the organizations needs both today and in the future
- Privacy and security benefits and challenges when embarking on interoperability